These biscuits are inspired by Fiona Cairns Wedding Biscuits on ITV’s Home Of Fabulous Cakes. Bag or box these buttery fondant topped festive biscuits for the perfect little gift or make for a tea time treat.
What You Will Need
Star Shaped Cutter
380g Plain Flour
250g Unsalted Butter
125g Caster Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For The Fondant Top
Pearl White Lustre Dust
Red Sparkle Lustre Dust
Extra Red Colour Paste
Holly Green Colour Paste
No. 2 Piping Nozzle
Makes 32 Stars
1) Sift the plain flour with the salt into a bowl.
2) Place unsalted butter into a mixer and add the caster sugar. Cream together till well mixed.
3) Add just the egg yolk with the vanilla extract to the butter and sugar and mix on a low speed.
4) Whilst on a low speed slowly add the flour till the dough just comes together.
5) Place the dough on a work surface and wrap in cling film and chill for roughly 30mins. This will allow for easy rolling.
6) Once chilled roll out to your required thickness a good thickness is 2mm to 8mm. Using the cutter cut out stars.
7) Bake for roughly 12-15mins at 180/170 fan. Obviously ovens differ so judge accordingly.
8) Once golden leave to cool.
Making Royal Icing
You Will Need
1 Egg White
A Dash of Lemon Juice
250g Icing Sugar
1. Add the lemon juice to a bowl of the egg white
2. Sift some of the icing sugar into the bowl and using a clean wooden spoon stir the sugar into the mixture.
3. Stir in more icing sugar and beat.
4. Once the icing sugar has been added beat till peaks appear.
Decorating White Fondant Stars
1) Roll the Fondant thinly and cut out stars using the same star cutter.
2) Pipe or dab a small amount of royal icing onto the biscuits. Place the fondant stars over the biscuits.
3) Using a no.2 piping nozzle pipe a border around the star by slowly laying the icing.
4) To add pearl balls dot a small amount of icing onto the fondant and place a pearl on each one.
5) For the pearly finish brush on Pearl Lustre Dust. Pipe the stripe detail and star details.
Decorating Red & Green Fondant Stars
1) Colour some fondant with the red and green colour paste and roll out thinly.
2) Cut out stars and repeat the process to lay on top of the biscuits.
3) For the red stars. Dust over Red Sparkle Lustre Dust and pipe the border pattern.